RE: (ET) To all EV enthusiasts: "clean air" mowing & towing, and more......

ETC launched a beautifully designed machine several years ago.  It had
joystick control and zero turning radius -- no conventional steering.
They announced the mower deck and promised other attachments to come.  It
was discontinued, along with the deck, a while back when they decided to
concentrate on marketing their "Electric Ox" model with conventional
steering as an industrial tug.

Now the mower is back.  I wonder if they've decided that Taylor-Dunn,
Cushman, and other established industrial vehicle manufacturers are too
much competition, and it's easier to sell in the zero-competition arena
of zero-emission mowing.

I hope they succeed, but I'm afraid that the price will put too many
customers off.  The dual-motor design is elegant but not as cost-
effective as the simpler GE motor/transaxle scheme (which was plenty
expensive in its day).

Unfortunately, ETC has the same challenge GE had:  not enough people
perceive the sky-high exhaust emissions from conventional tractors as a
real problem.  If we could just get tractor makers to mount their exhaust
pipes so they blow right in the operators' faces! <g>

GE ETs seem to be getting harder to find (unless you live near where they
were built, where they seem to grow out of the ground <g>.  In other
places the collectors are hoarding them, with some people who just need
to mow their yards owning a half-dozen or more (where they keep them all
I don't know).  These folks buy them for the attachments or for spares.
Sometimes a collector will sell you one (stripped of all the scarcer
attachments); just keep watching this list and post a request now and
then.

For many people with pockets too shallow to consider the new tractor, and
with no ETs in the neighborhood, a conversion of a gas tractor may be in
order.  Small series motors are available from the electric vehicle parts
vendors for $400 or so, and will actually have more grunt than the gas
engine discarded.  A rebuilt Curtis controller will cost less than $300.
Batteries will be $300 or so.

Add a hundred or two for a charger, another $100 for cables and other
sundry items.  It should be possible to do a bare-bones conversion for
around $1000-$1200 including batteries, using new and remanufactured
parts, less if you snag some used golf car bits.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc