(ET) C-185 and Loader

Hi All,

Today I re-attached my bucket loader to my C-185 (Wheelhorse) (had it on a E20). I needed to move a few snow piles from the side of a driveway and this is much better then a shovel. I was busy so I let Dad run the loader. I was a bit unsure as he is used to a larger 1953 Golden Jubilee Ford tractor with loader and was not in the mood for complaints i.e.: its to small, it's to slow, it's not strong enough blah blah....

I was also a bit unsure as to the performance since I have not charged the batteries since about September of 99.

Well, to say the least Dad was thrilled and so was I. The batteries did nicely as did the tractor. I have it set up with 75 pound wheel weights in the rear and well with Dad on it there was more then enough weight to move snow. He did say in the beginning that his Ford would have had the job done in 1/8 the time but was none the less impressed.

My father was the one who turned me on to the Elec-trak some years ago and I have not turned off since. The one counter point I have always made to dad and others is there are few alternatives to the Elec-trak when it come to versatility.

We all know that to change between a loader, snow blower, plow, mower, sickle mower, rototiller is less then 3 minutes. Plus do hedge trimming, welding, drilling, sawing in between all of that.

I was sorry that I didn't bring my camera as it was a sight to see him on the tractor. I also have to add it took him a bit to get used to all the switch flipping i.e.: forward, reverse, PTO on/off, 2 hydraulic handles, brake and accelerator. In time he did just fine.

I was some time ago going to manufacture a loader for the Elec-trac but was side lined by DiVoRcE. Never a good word. There is a company that sells universal plans for small tractor loaders that need little adaptation for the GE/Wheelhorse units. With the plans they give you places to buy all the precut materials if you don't have the shop to make them yourself. The only thing you would need to make up for our electric's is the motor to run the pump. This is accomplished with the small 36 volt drive motor from say a E-8.

I have moved 3 times in 4 months and to say the least I can't find my A** with my 2 hands. I will search for the web address and post it here for anyone interested. I believe that to buy the kit and plans would have cost about $800 Don't quote me). You only needed basic welding skills to build the unit. They also had plans for a back hoe that I would love to have.

I will get some pics of the loader on my C-185 if any one is interested.

Thanks for listening.

Walter

web.starlinx.com/dwfh