FW: (ET) elec-trak CD, Tiller, loader, etc.

-----Original Message-----
From: Elie, Larry (L.D.)
Sent: Monday, January 31, 2000 10:52 AM
To: 'David Howard'
Subject: RE: (ET) elec-trak CD, Tiller, loader, etc.

BTW, I assume that Brinly Hardy used an existing tiller and possibly mount
for the ET tiller, and GE supplied only the motor.  Does anyone know WHICH
existing tiller (i.e., for what gas tractor) the same tiller was made?
The
GE tiller is in very short supply, (I have been looking for something like
two years for one within 100 miles) and I would like to know what else is
close fit.  My short term Sears gas with a custom mount is really not that
good a combination.  I'm not afraid to adapt, I just want to know what is
out there.

In a similar vein, I know the loader was made by EG&W and that Walter &
Diane
were contemplating a newer design.  Since EG&W doesn't appear to still be
in

business, does anyone know what similar (without the pump of course) loader
they
made for gas tractors?  The only loaders I have seen were on John Deere and
Case
garden tractors, but I have no idea if the GE was based on either design.

Back to the CD, has anyone talked to Bill Gunn yet?  I vote for Acrobat
because
it is easy way out.  DXF or DWG (real CAD) are better but I very much doubt
the
prints were on electronic media.  I'm sure they didn't use GDT very well in
those
days either.  I have scanners here to D (or even E) size, so prints are
are not a problem OTHER than in file size.  Folks, a D size in Acrobat even
in
black and white is tens of mega-bytes!  I don't have time to do DXF's from
original
prints but that's what it would take to get these down to manageable size.
Now,
if only one or two prints were required, sure, I could do them, but Bill
has
so many
prints that when I was there he had never even had a chance to file them
all!
Like I said on my earlier post, I suspect there should be two versions of
the media;
one, a simple combination of the Owner's Service Manuel (includes
schematics) and
Instruction manuals with perhaps a color flyer on a CD for something like
$10 or $20,
with Bill making a few bucks on each (I think he makes less on the printed
manual at
$25 each) of the 50 or so that would sell in the next 10 years.  There
really isn't
that big of a market for this, but charging more will just let people
justify piracy.
I have all the tools to make this except the instruction manuals and color
brochures
right now.  Sure, Wheel Horse and New Idea would have to be included, and
make this
a good resource, probably a comparison article on the tractors and brands
by
Bill Gunn
himself, and perhaps an article on batteries, chargers etc.  I'm not afraid
to contact
some of the original design engineers (assuming they are still alive) from
GE myself,
but don't have a list of names.  Their design input would make another nice
article for
the CD.  I would ALSO like to see I found one assembly person retired in
Ohio and have
talked with him by phone in the past, but he didn't have too much to
relate.
A DVD or CD
combination for say $50 or more that has the REAL service manual and the
prints would make
a SECOND tier of resource.  I doubt more than half a dozen would sell in
the
next ten years.
But I don't want to see the prints lost.

That's my best guess of managing this.