Re: (ET) CD rom Tech book

I know that the concept of hearty competition is a founding principle of
our country, but it's ironic that in some market segments (desktop
computers, for example), supply seems to overwhelm demand.  Some may say
that this is good for the consumer, but that's not so clear when one
can't get user support from manufacturers who've been forced to cut out
every last non-retail expense to compete.

What I'm leading up to, I guess, is a seconding (or thirding or whatever)
of the suggestion that most ET marketing might serve users best in the
long run when routed through Tech Service.

I spoke with someone a while back about his interest in a business
related to the ET, and it got me thinking about this.  I'm still not
convinced that there is enough of a user base to support more than one
vendor.  It sounds like it barely supports Tech Service as it is.

I don't know how keen Bill Gunn is on developing his own CD, so I think
this is a project that could be carried out in partnership.  As for
price, I don't think $40 - $50 would be unreasonable for a highly
detailed shop manual on CD for the ET, and with all his support effort, I
think Bill deserves to keep a healthy chunk of that price.

I don't see much benefit to setting up a webpage.  I considered this some
time back, but concluded that it would take quite a lot of server storage
to load enough information, and would be pretty painfully slow for dialup
users.  I'd rather have a CD.

One final request on that CD.  Please make it as portable as possible
(meaning, at the very least, no long filenames).  It should be useful to
folks with all kinds of systems, from the latest Bill Gates-approved box
to a Mac Classic to a small Linux system.

Further comments and criticisms welcome.  Thanks.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1991 Ford Escort Green/EV 128vdc
1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc