RE: (ET) CD ROM Tech book

I just ordered my Owner Service Manual from technical service along with
some new drive belts. It is currently $25 plus shipping. Expensive, but I
have to agree it is important to keep Technical Service in business.

I went to my local small engine guy for replacement drive belts since I
only had one worn belt on my E15 when I recently bought it. He wanted to
replace it by measuring it even after I told him it was so stretched I had
no adjustment on the motor mounts left. I decided to get the correct belts
from Bill.

This is an example of how (guesstimate warning!) 75% of the of the critical
parts on an Elec-Trak can be sourced locally via substitution and adaption.
But what happens when one of the 25% of the critical parts dies and
Technical Service is no longer there? Not everyone is an electrical
hobbyist that can fab a controller card with parts from Radio Shack. I
realize we also have resources via the list for finding used or NOS parts,
but it's nice to have someone on the phone who is willing to take the time
to help you out with their knowledge, like Bill is. I bet he has already
seen all the problems you can have with the various models and attachments
and can answer your questions and provide the correct repair part faster
then any other resource. How much is your time worth?

If we could work the CD idea through Bill as Larry suggested, I bet we
could buy the CD from Technical Service for $10-$15 and Bill would make
more money on the transaction then he does on selling book, since CD
production cost is about $.50.

Jeff Tickner
C/S Developer
SoftLanding Systems
603-924-8818 ext 536

                    "Elie, Larry (L.D.)"

                    <lelie ford com>                   To:     "'David
Roden (Akron OH USA)'" <roden ald net>,
                    Sent by:                           elec-trak cosmos5
phy tufts edu
                    owner-elec-trak cosmos5 phy        cc:

                    .tufts.edu                         Subject:     RE:
(ET) CD rom Tech book

                    01/18/00 09:29 AM

Speaking of copyright issues, and, perhaps even more realistically,
what is best for the long term, think about the present source of
the manual:  Technical Service.

I bought an "Owner Service Manuel" from Technical Service for either $25 or
$29
some 4 years ago.  I think that sounds a bit high, but realistically, it is
probably reasonable.  Most of the cost was probably for the re-print, but
part to
help keep Technical Service in business.  I'm not sure if they own the
printing
rights, but I am sure that they should be consulted on anything of this
nature.
It is NOT in my best interest if Technical Service goes out of business.
Besides,
he has other manuals that should belong in such a CD; the REAL shop manual,
those
for other attachments (the Owner Manuel has the mower decks and E-8 to
E-20)
and
real brochures etc.... I don't even own the Operator's Manuel!  What I
would
like
to see is a series of CD's:  a user CD for which there would be a broad (50
people?)
market and a full print CD set on JPG...  probably 4 CD's and a market of
say 5 in
total.  I think Walter might try to contact Technical Service first.  Even
small
royalty on each CD might help keep Technical Service going.

Larry ELie