(ET) E12M pulling high(ish) current

My tractor is finally running, but it seems to be pulling more current than
I would have anticipated.  On level ground in top gear I'm running well up
in the yellow and hit the red zone if there is any slope at all.  In lower
gears it is better, but still doesn't seem to be operating in the "normal"
range as I would expect.  Power seems lower than I expected too, but I have
little experience with other tractors of this type.

I've spun the motor by hand, everything spins very freely, so the bearings
are OK.  The transmission is moving freely and I have changed the oil in it
as well. (Is there more than one way to put the shift handle back?  I seem
to have a funny shift pattern, but since I never drove it before this,
maybe
I'm wrong!  Is there a 4th "in gear" position that acts as a neutral?)

So what could be causing the higher current draw?  Bad/short brushes?  Bad
battery pack (it's marginal, but OK)?  Wiring of some sort?  Bad shunt?
Bad
JuJu??

Bruce Conner