RE: (ET) Traction motor current

It doesn't shock me.  But I don't have the whole answer.

Gas engines are a bit wimpy.  A "20 HP" gas garden tractor is really 20 HP
under ideal conditions on a test stand, at one specific RPM, at one
temperature,
one altitude or barometric pressure.  Real life is often 75-80% of that at
full throttle;
partly because full throttle is just that-- it doesn't at all imply max
HP.  For example;
full throttle standing still just puts the engine at max RPM-- for a 20 HP
garden tractor,
full throttle standing still is probably 1 HP, if that.

Slug a gas engine by asking for too much torque, and the RPM drops off.
For a
3600 RPM/20 HP engine at 1800 RPM and you do NOT get 10 HP; the torque
curve isn't that flat.  You might get 5 HP.  Slow an electric motor and
the
torque does just fine.  That's why a GE pulls so good.  Only a steam
tractor
would beat it (steam puts out max torque at 0 RPM).  Diesels do a bit
better than
gas for low end torque, but not in the class of steam or electric.  BTW,
for low torque, high
RPM use, a gas engine is quite good.  That's why we have gas cars,
motorcycles, etc.

Then there is drivetrain loss.  Many garden tractors are hydrostatic, the
output of the
shafts is 75% of the input power, the rest lost to heat.  Belt drives are
95%, and a
belt often drives either the transmission or the hydraulic pump.  GE's
also use a
belt(s) so that part is even.

I did a test of circuit breakers for an unrelated FEA some 20 years ago
for my
previous employer.  I'm sure you can look it up, but most trip in
milli-seconds
at TWICE their rating, and after tens of seconds at 15-20% above their
rating.
At say, 5% over their rating, they trip after HOURS, depending on the
ambient.

Now, let's talk about that tractor pull.  Say the E20 put out 65 amps for
10 seconds at
an honest 36 volts (My tractor is usually 38 V except right after charge
when I get 39V+).
I get a tad over 3 HP.  But that isn't what happens in a tractor pull.  I
could use a 1/2 HP
electric winch and pull SEVERAL tons at a low speed.  All that is required
is pull.  You
get that from two things; traction (and GE's are heavy!)  and torque.  I
have a 20 HP gas
Oliver Cleat-track (a bulldozer) that weighs 10,000 lbs and (at 1 mph...)
can pull my dad's
Massey Harris 44 (a 50 HP gas tractor weighing 8,000 lbs with duels)
backwards
quite handily.  It can't work a field as well because the work depends on
the HP.
Traction and gearing are important.  Assume the competing 20 HP gas
tractor is a hydrostatic.  The engine is running at a high RPM, but NOT
the max because
the designer matched the pump load well to the engine.  The engine may be
putting out
15 HP.  The Hydro drops it 11.25 at the axle.  If everything I said was
true, it should win
a pull with an E20.  Neither is pulling the load far, so something like
inertia may make a
difference.  I don't think HP is the best measure of what goes on.  All I
can think is that
the hydrostatic has waste-gates (spring-loaded poppets) on the pressure
lines to prevent
it from an overload from damaging the pump, and it really couldn't put
more than a few HP
to the wheels.  That's conjecture.  I really don't know why an E20 can
beat a 20HP gas.

Any better ideas?

Larry Elie