Re: (ET) Traction motor current

Hello Folks,

It is really good to see all this activity here on the electrak reflector
Larry I was very interested in all your comment.

I think 1 reason that my E20 did so well is the weight  distribution.  4 of
those 6 batteries are sitting right over the rear wheels.
Although others havce the benefit of running 70 lbs more wheel weight than
had and bigger heavier rear ends.

This is the component that I fear might fail if I were to build and enter a
machine in the   superstock class which allows big tires and
lots of additional weight.

Another problem I see with the gas tractors is the application of thier
power to the ground.  Most have clutches or belts and a few are
hydro's.  Like Larry says some of the hydros never make it to the point
where they lose traction,  the go into an over pressure condition and the
tranny slips.  The clutch and belt drivers need to slip the the power to
the
rear wheels gradually.  I have seen this result in
heating the clutch and it slips or letting out too quickly and engine RPM
drops off too fast and the engine stalls.
The other thing I see happen a lot is a guy will just snap the clutch out
so
fast that the rear wheels will just spin.

The E20 seems to apply the power to the ground in an even ascending
fashion,
even if I slam the pedal to the floor.

I have come across a couple of high current shunts.  A 150 amp a 300 amp a
400 amp and a 1000 amp
I will insert the appropriate version in line with the battery pack and see
what peak current is when I get some time.
I will also try to see what the colors on the meter correspond to what pack
current .

Just my comments

Paulc
W1VLF
Cloudbounce Webpage  http://www.qsl.net/w1vlf/

1986 Vanagon Gas
1982 Vanagon Diesel  Turbo Diesel 1.9
GE Electrak E20 and E15  electric tractors
First place in local tractor pulls  at 1750 LBS
With Stock E-20 Electric tractor