Re: (ET) re: battery testers

From:                   "Wombat" <Wombat RealNS com>

> The
> generally assumed correct test is to load the battery at some level until
> its voltage drops to 10.5 volts.  The resultant time is its capacity.

Correct.  Just a few more notes regarding this.

Typically golf car batteries are measured for their minutes of "reserve
capacity" (RC) at 75 amps.

You would need to connect 3 headlights in series for a 36 volt pack.
Then you would have to parallel enough trios of headlights to reach 75
amps.

There are other ways to create loads.  One (somewhat risky) one is to
fill up a large bucket with water and plunge in heavy conductors.  Raise
or lower the conductors to change the load.  Some people add salt to the
water to change the resistance (don't breathe the gas that is evolved if
you do this).

Another way is to use one or more paralleled electric water heater
elements of appropriate size in a large bucket of water (this works
better with the higher voltage packs used in road EVs, however).

And yet another is to use multiple electric space heaters with the
elements paralleled and connected to the pack, and the fans wired
separately to run on the AC line.

Testing is a miserable task on a 98 degree day -- a load bank mounted
outside the garage makes it more bearable.

10.5 volts is the discharged voltage specified (under load) for a 12 volt
battery.  For our 6v GC  batteries, it's half that amount.

The most common golf car batteries used (T-105 or US 2200 type, 220 amp
hours at the 20 hour rate) are rated for around 105 minutes RC.  A
battery is considered to be at the end of its useful life when it can no
longer produce 80% of its specified reserve capacity.

FWIW, the usual reserve capacity spec for most 12v deep cycle batteries
is at 25 amps, not 75.

David Roden - Akron, Ohio, USA
1991 Solectria Force 144vac
1979 General Engines ElectroPed 24vdc