(ET) ET PTO

 Monty,
  Try to steer clear from using a cable operated brake caliper. The cables
seem to always want to pull themselves straight if you have too many curves
or bends in them. They also eventually seize up over time. You could try
using an rod and lever setup; but I doubt if there is enough room in there
for all the connecting links to make it work.
  Another way to go about this is to install the hydraulic racing gokart
brakes. The brake caliper is small enough to fit inside your rear
wheel/rim.
The master cylinder is also small (small enough to fit in the palm of your
hand) and can be easily mounted under the running board on the left side.
The brake lines are made of 1/8"plastic tubing allowing them to be flexible
enough so you can run them around obstacles you encounter. Calipers run
about $90 apiece and master cylinders are about $50. A thin 1/8"rotor
should
run you $25. All these parts can be purchased "used" by checking out some
of
the Karting web sites forsale ads.
                                    sounds like fun to me,
                                              Eric