Re: (ET) How do I change motor bearings?

Dave, I've done this to 6 motors, so hopefully I can give some pointers.

1.  The job is much easier with a split bearing puller and either a small
hydraulic press or an arbor press.
2.  You'll also need a 1-1/2 to 2 inch long 1/4-20 bolt with the head
curtoff.
3.  You must remove the blade holder first.  If the blade holder doesn't
pull off easily, screw the cut off bolt into the blade end of the motor
shaft.  Use a split bearing puller to support the motor by the blade holder
so that you can push the cut off 1/4-20 screw with the press.  When the
blade holder comes loose, the motor will drop, so hold on to it as you
press
off the blade holder.
4.  With the blade holder off you can take the motor apart.  The bearings
should stay on the armature.
5.  Using the split bearing pullers and a press you can remove the
bearings.
Keep track of any washers or spacers and note carefully their positions.
They must go back in the original positions.
6.  When you press new bearings on, only press on the inner races.  I
recommend replacing the original shielded bearings with sealed bearings.
7.  When you reassemble the motors, you must restrain the brushes.  There
are holes in the brush end of the motor that paper clips or toothpicks can
be inserted to keep the brushes out far enough to clear the bearing during
motor reassembly.
8.  If you have old motors where the blades don't have fiber clutch washers
but are pinned to the blade holders, you should purchase the new style
blade
holder with fiber clutches.
    That was a very abbreviated set of rebuild instructions that only
touched on bearing replacement.  If you have other questions, just e mail
away.

Steve Naugler