-----Original Message-----
From:   Paul L. Heinzerling [SMTP:PHEINZERLING compuserve com]
Sent:   Thursday, June 03, 1999 12:38 PM

Message text written by Jeff Tickner
>how do they govern the top speed of
golf carts if they don't use a controller with a series wound motor?<

Jeff, there is no dedicated system for governing the top speed.  At full
voltage, the thing simply runs out of oomph at about 12mph on level ground.
 With several hundred pounds of cart and in my case a couple more hundred
of driver, the load limits the speed of the motor.  Since there is no
neutral in the gearing (the cart is reversed electrically by reversing the
field)), there is no chance for the motor to run without load unless you
spin it up with the back wheels off the ground, and even then you have the
differential and axle friction.