(ET) newbie thanks you

Message text written by Jeff Tickner
>how do they govern the top speed of
golf carts if they don't use a controller with a series wound motor?<

how do they govern the top speed of
golf carts if they don't use a controller with a series wound motor?

Jeff, there is no dedicated system for governing the top speed.  At full
voltage, the thing simply runs out of oomph at about 12mph on level ground.
 With several hundred pounds of cart and in my case a couple more hundred
of driver, the load limits the speed of the motor.  Since there is no
neutral in the gearing (the cart is reversed electrically by reversing the
field)), there is no chance for the motor to run without load unless you
spin it up with the back wheels off the ground, and even then you have the
differential and axle friction.  If you decide to get this cart, I've had
some successes and made many mistakes with mine, and would be happy to
answer any questions that might pop up.

One interesting and probably dumb thought:  You might be able to keep the
motor/differential/axle/brake  unit intact, put sprockets where the weels
were, and mount it obove a rear axle onto which you put drive sprockets on
each wheel.  It would look pretty Rube Goldberg, but it would save you the
monumental task of fitting the motor face mounting and spur gear to
whatever drive system you were using, and you could select the right
sprocket ratios by trial and error.  One thing for sure -- you'd be the
only one in your neighborhood!  As mentioned in my previous message though,
you would still have the duty cycle limitations of the golf cart motor.

Regards,

Paul Heinzerling