RE: (ET) Reducing Battery Weight for Use on Hills

I'm sure you will get better suggestions, but here are some comments...

----------
From:   cleanair mail2 deniz com[SMTP:cleanair mail2 deniz com]
Sent:   Thursday, May 20, 1999 11:30 AM
To:     elec-trak cosmos5 phy tufts edu
Cc:     cleanair wipss com
Subject:        (ET) Reducing Battery Weight for Use on Hills

;I have a E15 and have been using it to cut grass on a fairly steep grade.
;The front wheels tend to gouge, and the rear wheels sometimes lose
;traction as one side or the other lifts while turning.  I try to go up and
;down the hill as reccomended to avoid roll-over, but still need to turn.

;  My question is this:  If the wieght of the batteries is reduced,
;wouldn't this lower the center of gravity, and reduce tilting?  Wouldn't
;this also reduce gouging?

Lower batteries might help, but I think LOW MOUNTED WEIGHTS (i.e., wheel
weights)
are a first thought.  Also, I have seen wider tires used (the rims are a
'standard' garden
tractor size) and even one with duels, the inner tires were reversed and
washers were
used as spacers.  I have also seen at least 3 weights of front tires.  You
might also check
the front wheel-bearings; mine were loose and the inside tire would
knuckle-in slightly on a
sharp turn.  Of course, I've never worked on a hill...

;  Would using 12V marine batteries accomplish this weight reduction?  Or
;are their any other suggestions.

Deep-discharge marine batteries might work EXCEPT you will get about half
the
run time for 3-12V marines as for 6-6V golf-cart batteries; they just
aren't anywhere
near as many amp-hours each.

;Thanks,

;    Matt O'Brien

I'd also be suspicious about the brake; I wouldn't trust mine on a hill.

Larry Elie