RE: (ET) Reducing Battery Weight for Use on Hills

Matt,

 I too have the same problem, Tip over is more of a safety issue.. I do not
think smaller batteries would help. Make sure your rear tires are attached
to the hub in the WIDE setting. Also new tires can help with traction, my
25
year old like new tires are hard as rocks. A softer compound or a tractor
tread grip my help. Wheel weights should help also. Move your body weight
the high side of the tractor to prevent wheel spin. If you need more body
weight check out some beer web sites!!

The problem of loss of steering control on wet grass going down hill is a
problem I am still trying to solve. I mow with an E14 that has the same
size
tires and rims as a E12. I put E20 tires and rims on this spring to see if
would help. It did some what better, but those tires are very hard rubber
(age?). Last year I put new front tires on the E14, softer compound and a
direction pattern the would help to keep the tire tracking in a straight
line. This seemed to be the best improvement.  I am going to replace these
tires again with rib steering tires as soon as I can find some in the size
need. Has any one seen the three rib tires that will fit an ElecTrak?

  Dwight

Dwight L. Hazen, Indiana University, UITS
Bloomington, In. 47408-7378 812-855-5367 hazen indiana edu
http://php.ucs.indiana.edu/~hazen/ ax25 wb9tlh k9iu in noam