RE: (ET) Deck motors, etc.

Thanks for the answers, I hope you don't mind a followup?

----------
From:   Yellowbird[SMTP:kanarys zbzoom net]
Sent:   Wednesday, April 28, 1999 8:32 AM
To:     elec-trak cosmos5 phy tufts edu
Subject:        Re: (ET) Deck motors, etc.

;In answer to Larry's two questions ,first ,the mower motors. The flanges
are
;allegedly welded on. Removal must be done with great haste, as excessive
;heat will fracture the field magnets.Replacing them also requires great
;care. MIG welding is the weapon of choice, and the re inforcement flanges
;made for the underside of the deck are suitable replacements.The "dip" in

Could one die-grind where the spot weld is, re-position the standard
flange, and
than either re-spot or MIG the flange at the new location?

;the "M" deck  blades  was necessary to place the cutting and "fan" area of
;the blades in the same postion relative to the deck baffle. Putting "M"
deck
;blades on your front mount deck will reduce the number of times you have
;mow, however!!Now, on to mulching. One of my customers is experimenting
with

Why?  Just because it cuts lower?

;a novel idea. Using slightly longer blade bolts, and additional clutch
;washers,he mounts two blades on each motor. So far results are
encouraging.

I love it!  This I can handle!

;A note on mower motor performance; they are not all the same. Some
armatures
;are wound differently, depending on what part of the country the were to
be
;sold in.A good cheat is to rob armatures from E-8 E-10 mower motors.Look
at
;how they are wound, and note that  they   are somewhat heavier.Lastly ,
for

News to me.  I had also considered changing ALL 3 motors to M type, and
raising the
casters.  I also know of a deck in working(?) condition with the 3-3/8"
dia. motors.
I was afraid to mix the two diameters because I don't know if the loaded
speeds are
the same.  With side discharge, you can't have the last motor turn slower
as the
grass won't get out.  All this because of a cracked flange and missing
chunk at the
bolt hole.  Bummer.

Thanks for all the help.

Larry Elie