(ET) non moving tractor

To the electrac users:

If the dtive motor won't run after sitting for a long time and
everything else works, you may have an obscure problem that prevents
the contactor from closing. First put it in neutral, open the access
cover, and push on the contactor by hand. If the motor runs, then
there is a good chance that one of the electrolytic capacitors on the
control board is bad. There are several, and I don't remember real
well how to figure out which is which. But it is something like 50
uF. Its purpose is to keep the contactor energized while shifting
between speeds. If its value is too small, the circuit that controls
the time delay between speeds won't work. The original value was just
barely sufficient, and after 20 years, its value decreases. Try
putting another higher value one in parallel with each of them (one
at a time) and try the control lever. If the drive motor goes, you've
found it. So replace it with a higher value one (2X or more) and
you're  back in business. This is how I bought both my E14 tractors
cheap. The previous owner couldn't figure it out.

Harry Landis