Re: (ET) non moving tractor

To Harry and other Elek-Trak users:
    With respect to the capacitors on the control boards:  I had my
capacitors fail open circuit, so I removed the old ones altogether.  After
replacing the first one and two months later having a second one fail, I
just replaced all of them.  I also used a new capacitor of at least twice
the value because that is what I already owned.
    Even if the capacitors are bad the motor should run in speed one
forward
and reverse, so I suspect that capacitors are not the problem.  The
capacitor is part of a time delay and latching circuit installed so that
the
motor accelerates slowly enough that you can't do wheelies.  (I remember
part of a review in Popular Science where they tested preproduction
prototypes.  In that article the reviewers mentioned wheelies being a
problem but that GE promised a fix for the production items.)
    I won't add but one more thing to the list of things to check; there
have been many valid ideas listed.  I had one motor with worn brushes that
would not reliably run or start after sitting.  Turning the motor by hand
would sometimes get it to run.  Whenever this is the case you must replace
the brushes immediately.  Running the motor with badly worn brushes will
ruin the commutator after which it is replacement motor city.
Unfortunately, most of or all of the GE Elec-Trak motors must be
disassembled to get at the brushes.

Steve Naugler