Re: (ET) power outages

Bryan Cooper wrote:

> Wouldn't putting the fridge outside during an ice storm
> be a more energy efficient way to keep your milk cold?
>
> ...just a thought from the frigid california coast...
>
> At 07:07 PM 1/20/99 -0500, you wrote:
> >Last week the Mid-Atlantic got a half inch coating of ice. 150,000 of my
> >closet friends lost power. Today, five days later, only a couple of
> >hundred are still in the dark. Compared to the couple of weeks of no
> >power last year in New England, this was small potatoes. I was one of
> >the lucky ones, but my number will soon come up.

Yeah , it would save electrons, but might cost something else. The temps
following the ice storm here quickly shot up to the high 40s. The
utilities gave out vast amounts of dry ice for people's coolers. And
lots of food got thrown out anyway.

If you mean unload the fridge, disconnect the ice maker, bounce a couple
of hundred pounds of appliance down the ice covered stairs, level it,
plug it in and reload it, then listen to my wife explain what she likes
best about going outside to get milk for her coffee. Nope, I'll spend
the extra electrons.

Dan