Re: (ET) power outages

Steve

You're right about motor surges and voltage sags. But, the fact that the
inverter ran the circut (thermostat, humidifier, oil pump and blower
fan) without a hiccup when the control was changed, and wouldn't start
just the oil pump with the solid state control makes me think that my
problem was related to the quality of the signal, i.e. mod sine wave. In
fact the inverter was running my refer and a couple of lights, kicked in
the oil pump and was chuging along just fine until the blower fan kicked
in (a couple of minutes until the plenum got hot), and the weak link was
the 20 amp gfi outlet that I was using as a pto. I'll have to remove the
gfi and run that test again.

Trace warns in their manual that cheap multi meters will show a false
90-105v from a mod sw, when true rms is 120v. My meter shows 95-101v.
When I get my rms meter back from the customer that I leant it to, I'll
verify true voltage. Two different people at Trace, one on the phone,
one thru e-mail, told me that some devices, just like my cheap meter get
fooled into this perception of low voltage. All the HVAC guys I spoke to
said, relay chattering - low voltage.

This thing is rated for almost 5kw of surge, battery cables are 00 with
a 400 amp fuse and 120 volt wiring is #10. I dont think surge is my
problem. I wonder if your buddy's well pump problem was surge.  Well
pumps have to start under load so typically do have a need for surge.
But, 4kw is huge. I'm measuring a well pump right now, it's drawing
1624w and surge is 2345. I'd bet good money that your Honda would start
his pump. I've heard nothing but good things about Hondas.

Dan