Re: (ET) Chris's motor and rebuild advice

Vic,
     I have found that  the GE motors had provisions for holding the
brushes
back.
    In one case there was a spot where a small piece of wire could be
inserted on each side.  Each wire could hold a single brush back.  (I used
bent paper clip.)  Inserted the wires were parallel to the motor shaft and
protruded from the end of the end bell of the motor.  After both end cases
were installed the wires would be removed.  You could hear the brushes snap
into position.
    In one other case  there was a hole in back of the brushes.  This hole
was in the sides of the end bell.  There I ran a thin string through the
hole, around the brush, and back out of the hole.  I then tied both ends of
the string tightly to a washer to keep the string from being pulled back
in.
Then with the brushes fully retracted I assembled the motor.  After
assembly
I cut one end of the string, and pulled the string out with the other end.
    I can't remember which technique went with each type of motor, but
there
was always some easy way to retract the brushes for reassembly.

Steve naugler