Re: (ET) Chris's motor and rebuild advice

Thanks for useful info on motor repairing
At 09:54 PM 1/11/99 -0500, Steven wrote:
>Chris,
>4.  Replace brushes if they don't have at least 1/2 their length still in
>the brush holder.  I usually replace them even if they have 70% life left
>because replacing brushes is relatively cheap.

Any special tricks to holding the brushes open so the commutator can be
slipped into place? With some PM motors particularly, the end cap holding
the brush assembly is proportioned so that strong attraction of the
armature
by the PM into the case yanks the commutator beyond brush contact so the
motor cannot be closed up.... Best I've been able to do is use a homemade
fine stiff wire spreader which I yank out right before closing up.

--Vic