-----Original Message-----
From: owner-elec-trak cosmos5 phy tufts edu
[mailto:owner-elec-trak cosmos5 phy tufts edu]On Behalf Of Rhett T.
George
Sent: Tuesday, January 05, 1999 12:10 PM
To: elec-trak cosmos5 phy tufts edu
Subject: Regen observation

 - Greetings -

The observation that Chris made regarding rolling downhill on the E16
describes regeneration exactly.  This occurs with the shunt traction
motor when full battery voltage is applied to the field.  The tractor
inputs mechanical power to the motor by trying to overspeed the motor
in the downhill trip.  The emf (voltage) developed in the armature is
greater than the battery voltage.  Consequently the current flows in
the direction of the battery.

In moving the boat and trailer around with the E15, I rely on regen
and sometimes see the power meter swing below zero in the downhill
part of that operation.

                                        Rhett George