RE: Evolution of Hydrogen Gas

----------
From:   Steven Naugler[SMTP:snaugler earthlink net]
Sent:   Monday, January 04, 1999 10:39 PM
To:     elec-trak cosmos5 phy tufts edu
Subject:        Evolution of Hydrogen Gas

;David,
;    I have questions about the Ford EV Ranger pickup you referenced in the
;following text:

;"Well, I agree, but with a caveat.  Most garages ARE leaky.  My tractor is
;in my
;insulated but leaky garage.  But I know people who have tested Ford Ranger
;electric pickups; 24 (!) 8V batteries, in series.  They run a fan whenever
;the
;charger is operating, to carry away the Hydrogen.  After testing, they
found
;that
;they had to run the fan for 30 seconds AFTER the charger went off; the
;mixture
;was still combustible!  Yet we allow the batteries to be charged in a
normal
;garage."

;1.  Is the fan built into the truck?
;2.  Or is it part of the garage where charging occurs?
;3.  If it is part of the truck could it be that the 30 second delay
between
;end of charge and turning off of the blower is to account for the time
;hydrogen bubbles rise out of the battery electrlyte? ( I know that after I
;turn off my GE charger I hear a gradual reduction in the bubbling noises
;coming from the batteries.)

;Steve Naugler

Actually Steve, I was replying to David.

I checked with an EV guy.  My data was 'out of date' .  The current (bad
pun) Ranger
EV has 39 (!?!) 8V batteries in series.  I don't think they shipped any
with less.  Don't
ask why the odd number.  Anyway, the fan IS built into the truck (in the
battery
compartment).  The source of the delay was not certain, all the engineers
cared about
was to make sure the H2 got out of the compartment.  The point is that the
gas is
still in the garage at that point.  BTW, the 'winter range' of the Ranger
electric is 75
miles best case at 20F with a new set of batteries.  It was -9F this
morning in
Detroit.  The people who leased those puppies are probably not coming it
today.

Larry Elie