Re: Helping the batteries perfom in the cold.

Hmm, he did say "unheated garage," didn't he?  Makes it tougher to heat
those batteries to 65 degrees or so.  I suppose he could take the ET into
the house for a while. <G>

The common suggestion is to ram some current through the batteries to
warm them up.  If they need a charge (or equalization) anyway, that's
fine, but why overcharge the batteries when all you want to do is heat
them?

Large auto parts jobbers (especially in northern climates) sell battery
warmers.  These are thin plates that go under a car battery and plug into
the wall.  That's one way.  Another is to line the bottom of the battery
boxes with pipe heating cable.  It might be a good idea to cover this
with a nonflammable, acid resistant material.

Many years ago when I owned a recalcitrant Plymouth Valiant (wouldn't
start when the ambient temp dropped below 10 deg F), I used to start a
charcoal fire in the grill, then when the coals were ready, I'd slide it
under the engine bay to warm up things while I ate breakfast (and watched
out the window for any untoward wisps of smoke).  NOTE: This story is for
entertainment purposes only.  I don't recommend actually doing this!

                David Roden          THE VIRTUAL PD
     Services for radio broadcasters targeting educated adults
 Programming   Air talent development   Research   Classical music