RE: Lifting batteries

"Naugler, Steve" <SNaugler Rodel com> write:

> Can onyone accureately answer these questions: 1.  Is this no lifting by
> terminal post an old wive's tale?

No.  In my case it's a middle-aged man's tale.  <g>  For years (I have
owned on-road electric vehicles for about 10 years) I assumed that
terminal corrosion from acid seepage was normal.  I read this
suggestion (to avoid lifting by terminals) recently, that is within the
last
couple of years, so I haven't had a chance to make a long-term test of
how well it works.

I *will* say that I have a large quantity of East Penn valve-regulated gel
batteries right now, and I absolutely will *not* lift them by the posts;
sealing is *extremely* important with VR batteries.  Fortunately, they
have semi-permanently attached lifting handles.

2.  Did Exide make a major boo boo in supplying these lifting handles?
3.  Or are the Exide batteries different somehow than most other batteries?

Hard to say.  I have not owned Exide batteries in many years.

Maybe Exide has great confidence in the durability of their terminal
post sealer.  Maybe the Exide terminals and sealer are designed to
withstand the stress of the Exide lifter.

Or maybe Exide doesn't consider it an important issue.  With a flooded
battery, leakage around the posts isn't fatal, just inconvenient (because
it increases the need for periodic disassembly and cleaning).  I prefer
to avoid it if possible, however.

By the way, it's also a good idea to use two wrenches when you
tighten your terminals, so as not to put too much lateral stress on the
posts.  That can have the same effect as lifting the battery by them.

"Max Hall" <maxo iname com> wrote:

> HEY! Just because this hoo-ha about lifting batteries was part of an
> old quote in an email from me doesn't mean I wrote it!

Oops!  Sorry Max, I didn't mean to misquote you.

     David Roden          THE VIRTUAL PD
     Services for radio broadcasters targeting educated adults
 Programming   Air talent development   Research   Classical music