Another Double Beryl composition for the Plain Bob Ringer

Back again with more impractical ideas for quarters of Double Beryl!

You may often hear ringers bemoaning the fact that Double Beryl does not
have plain bob lead ends. But with a bit of grit, determination, and
cornhusker’s lotion, I found that by calling “ppppppbppb" seven times, you
get all of the plain bob lead ends that you so dearly miss.

There are numerous other callings (I found around 80 bobs-only callings
with the help of my computer) to get all plain bob lead ends but I deemed
this one the most straightforward because 1) the first bob of each
“ppppppbppb” is always a course after the last bob of the previous
“ppppppbppb”, 2) each plain bob lead end occurs at the last bob of each
“ppppppbppb” and serves as a nice guidepost, and 3) this has the least
number of calls to get to all plain bob lead ends (tied with “ppbpppbppp”).

Downsides of this composition include the fact that there are no fixed
bells (I couldn’t find a composition under 2000 changes with the tenor
fixed), and it could be argued that the plain bob lead ends would be more
helpful if they were regular lead ends instead of bobbed lead ends (which
they are in the “ppbpppbppp” calling).

There is also the fact that this quarter composition is only 1120 changes
long and thus not a quarter composition. It can be extended easily by
replacing either bob at home with s - - s at home for a 1456 or by putting
three bobs each one course apart pretty much anywhere for a 1344 (and
there are probably other tricks that I don’t know about too).
Alternatively, it can be prepended with (sW sV sW) x2 to have one course
where all bells dodge on the front and back with their plain bob course
and after bells (see my previous quarter for the Plain Bob ringer). Let me
know if you think of any better ways to extend it to a full quarter.

1120 Double Beryl:
https://complib.org/composition/107694?accessKey=ae7b697250bad31d8d07d1f9cd75723eca1660dd

That’s the last silly idea I had for Double Beryl compositions, but if you
think of another concept that is equally inane, send it my way!

Sam