Re: Starting ringing

This is not the article I was thinking of, and I don’t know how reliable
“The Local” in Switzerland is, but more feedback on face shields:

https://www.thelocal.ch/20200715/only-those-with-plastic-visors-were-infected-swiss-government-warns-against-face-shields

Ricky

> On Jul 23, 2020, at 10:32 AM, Richard Morse via Boston-change-ringers
> <boston-change-ringers cosmos phy tufts edu> wrote:
>
> Ok, I’ve just spent a bit looking through my RSS feeds at both home and
> work, and also doing some googling. Whatever I saw, it didn’t come
> through RSS, which means it was probably through Twitter, so that’s not
> trustworthy (not that RSS is more inherently trustworthy, but it’s
> easier for me to find it and evaluate the source).
>
> So I also searched online (both DDG and Google). Apparently right now
> the answer is that there is no consensus about whether face shields can
> replace face masks. I’ve found a bunch of different news sites (not
> wildly partisan ones, but ones that at least pretend they are interested
> in the truth) basically saying that there is not enough evidence.
>
> The CDC’s guidance is:
>
>> It is not known if face shields provide any benefit as source control
>> to protect others from the spray of respiratory particles. CDC does not
>> recommend use of face shields for normal everyday activities or as a
>> substitute for cloth face coverings. Some people may choose to use a
>> face shield when sustained close contact with other people is expected.
>> If face shields are used without a mask, they should wrap around the
>> sides of the wearer’s face and extend to below the chin. Disposable
>> face shields should only be worn for a single use. Reusable face
>> shields should be cleaned and disinfected after each use.
>
> So who knows…
>
> Ricky
>

>> On Jul 23, 2020, at 8:25 AM, Richard Morse via Boston-change-ringers
>> <boston-change-ringers cosmos phy tufts edu> wrote:
>>
>> I just saw yesterday or the day before some article saying that face
>> shields by themselves are not effective; you need the masks as well…
>>
>>> On Jul 23, 2020, at 4:34 AM, Gregory Russell <gfr10598 gmail com>
>>> wrote:
>>>
>>> Some other ideas...
>>> 1. are full face shields an acceptable alternative to masks?
>>> 2. Should we investigate installing acrylic barriers?
>>> 3. Could/should we organize different bands with different levels of
>>> risk