Re: mail headers

My mail client (gmail) thinks that Andrew Tyler is the name of the person whose email address is boston-change-ringers cosmos phy tufts edu

I never have figured out why. I thought it was the mailman settings, but given that this problem is unique to me, maybe the first email from bcr I got was from Andrew?

Anyway, I have no idea why it's showing up for any of you. Maybe I should look into my headers...

Best,
Austin

On Mon, Apr 1, 2019, 23:21 Don Morrison <dfm ringing org> wrote:
On Mon, Apr 1, 2019 at 8:14 PM Ken Olum <kdo cosmos phy tufts edu> wrote:
> Hi, all.  Here's the story about strange things in the from line.
>
> There is a spam-prevention feature called DMARC.  It allows a domain to
> declare that only its specified servers are authorized to send mail
> claiming to come from users at that domain.  This breaks mailing lists,
> because a mailing list message is actually distributed by the list host,
> which is generally not one of the authorized servers.  So when a user
> sends a message from a domain using DMARC, cosmos can't just send it on
> to the list, or many recipients' systems will reject it.  So instead
> cosmos modifies the from-line to say that it comes from the list
> address, with the user's name and "via Boston-change-ringers".  The
> actual address that the message came from will go in the reply-to line,
> so replies to sender only will be properly directed.
So, doesn't that imply that a message that claims to be from Andrew Tyler via the list will have originated from Andrew? In which case, I’m still intrigued what Andrew’s connection to Katherine Black is, as I think he didn’t start ringing in Boston until long after her ordination, and left well before that thank you note became an issue.

Sorry if I’m being dense. Well, denser than usual.

--
Don Morrison <dfm ringing org>
“Life is precious to us because it is ephemeral.”