Re: Question on compositions

Dear Lillian

The sources Don has given you are great starting places, and I would certainly recommend you go there first.

If you are in the Cambridge area, and still stuck with specific questions, I would be happy to discuss with you at a mutually agreeable time. Work tends to come to a cresendo at this time of year, but early in the new year, we could find the time.

Good luck!

Andrew

Don Morrison <dfm ringing org> wrote:
On Dec 3, 2007 7:50 PM, Lillian Yiyuan wrote:
> I am not a change ringinger, but I am working on a project involving change
> ringing, and have a question. That is, is there a link which clearly
> explains the rules for the composition format for change ringing,

No, I'm afraid there isn't. Partly it's because there isn't just one
format, but that's kind of a cop-out. There certainly could be
something that explained the four or five most common sorts of ways of
presenting compositions. Best bet, I think, is looking at the
following books:

_Change Ringing_ by Wilfred Wilson

_A Handbook of Composition_ by John Leary

If you are associated with MIT, you'll easily find the former in the
Music Library. Otherwise I'm sure it'll be easy to get by
inter-library loan. The latter may be a bit more difficult to locate.

--
Don Morrison ,
"A good plan isn't one where someone wins, it's where nobody thinks