Mailing list name question

Hi everyone!  I hope you're staying dry in this very wet weather we're
having.  I have a question for discussion.  As I was updating the MIT
guild website, I noticed that at the bottom of every page was a "if
you have questions, email us at guild-of-bellringers-contact@mit...."
This is a great idea, but it struck me that
guild-of-bellringers-contact is long and possibly hard to remember.  I
checked to see if the mailing list "bellringers" was available, since
that would be quite a bit more succint and easy to remember.  I saw
that it existed already and John, Oliver, and James were the people on
it.   My question has several parts:
1. What was this more simply named list used for in the past, if at all?
2.  What do people think of renaming the main contact list to
bellringers if the one already existing in that name isn't being used?
It would be fairly simple to update the website and tell ASA.
3.  Any other thoughts?

- Mira
Updater of the MIT guild website
--