Dirk Brockmann
 Max Planck Institute for Dynamics and Self-Organization, Göttingen,
Germany

Thursday, January 16, 2008
4:00 pm

In light of increasing international trade and intensified human mobility,
the knowledge of dynamical and statistical properties of human travel is
of fundamental importance. I will report on a recent discovery of
universal scaling laws in global human movement patterns. Based on the
idea that the geographic circulation of money is an excellent proxy for
human travel, we analyzed the movement patterns of over half a million
individual dollar bills registered at the popular online bill-tracking
website www.wheresgeorge.com. We were thus able to assess the statistical
properties of human travel with a high precision.  We found that the
dispersal of money is reminiscent of scale-free random walks known as
Lévy
flights, which has important implications for the spread of modern human
infectious diseases.

Location:
Center for Complex Network Research
Northeastern University
Director: Dr. Albert-Laszlo Barabasi
Churchill Hall, Clifford Lounge
360 Huntington Avenue
Boston, MA 02115
n leete neu edu or (617) 373 4580
MAP

Nicole Leete

CCNR-NEU  Staff
Assistant to Professor László Barabási
Tel: (617) 373-4580, Fax: (617) 373-4671
Email: n leete neu edu