Late entries send to: bapc-late cosmos phy tufts edu

To subscribe to or unsubscribe from the bapc go
to:http://cosmos.phy.tufts.edu/bapc.html

Monday, January 30, 2006

8:00 am - 5:00 pm (for 2 days mon and tues)
Harvard University
Math/Physics Seminar
"Black Holes, Topological Strings, and Invariants of Holomorphic
Submanifolds"
Science Center, Lecture Hall D
Speakers: Mina Aganagic (UC Berkeley) Sir Michael Atiyah, (University of
Edinburgh) Frederik Denef (Rutgers) Robbert Dijkgraaf, (University of
Amsterdam) Daniel Freed (University of Texas/Austin) Albrecht Klemm
(University of Wisconsin-Madison) Kefeng Liu (UCLA) Greg Moore (Rutgers)
Hirosi Ooguri (Caltech) Rahul Pandharipande (Princeton) Erik Verlinde
(University of Amsterdam) Shing Tung Yau (Harvard).
Organizers: Cumrun Vafa (Harvard), Shing Tung Yau (Harvard) and Sheldon
Katz (U. Chicago, Urbana Champaign)
For a full schedule of talks please see
http://www.math.harvard.edu/bh/index.html

2:00PM
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
String Theory Seminar
Center for Theoretical Physics, Building NE25, Fourth Floor seminar
room*
?TBA"
Anton Kapustin
CalTech
Refreshments will be served *see our web page for directions to our new
location

Tuesday, January 31, 2006,

8:00 AM - 5:00 PM
Harvard University
Math/Physics Seminar
"Black Holes, Topological Strings, and Invariants of Holomorphic
Submanifolds"
Science Center, Lecture Hall D
Speakers: Mina Aganagic (UC Berkeley) Sir Michael Atiyah, (University of
Edinburgh) Frederik Denef (Rutgers) Robbert Dijkgraaf, (University of
Amsterdam) Daniel Freed (University of Texas/Austin) Albrecht Klemm
(University of Wisconsin-Madison) Kefeng Liu (UCLA) Greg Moore (Rutgers)
Hirosi Ooguri (Caltech) Rahul Pandharipande (Princeton) Erik Verlinde
(University of Amsterdam) Shing Tung Yau (Harvard).
Organizers: Cumrun Vafa (Harvard), Shing Tung Yau (Harvard) and Sheldon
Katz (U. Chicago, Urbana Champaign)
For a full schedule of talks please see
http://www.math.harvard.edu/bh/index.html

11:30 AM
Harvard University
Condensed Matter Theory Seminar
Lyman 425
"Fractionalization in a strongly correlated exciton system"
Sung-Sik Lee
MIT

12:30PM
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Informal String Seminar
Center for Theoretical Physics, Building NE25, Fourth Floor seminar room
?Standard Model Statistics of a Type II Orientifold"
Florian Gmeiner
Max Planck, U. Munich
Bring your lunch, and see our web page for our temporary location

1:30 pm...Cancellation Note:
The High Energy Theory Seminar that was previously scheduled for today
@1:30pm at Brandeis University by Professor Antal Jevicki has been
cancelled.

3:30 p.m.
Northeastern University
Physics Colloquium
114 Dana Research Building
"Why Newton's Apple Stopped Falling: The View from Extra Dimensions"
Hooman Davoudiasl
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Refreshments will be served.

3:30 PM
Boston University
Physics Department Colloquium Series
Metcalf Science Center, Room SCI-107
Dean Edmonds' Lecture
"Manipulating Atoms with Light"
Claude Cohen-Tannoudji, 1997 Nobel Laureate
Collège de France and École Normale Supérieure
Paris, France
Refreshments served at 3:15 PM in 1st floor lounge

3:30 p.m.
Northeastern University
Physics Colloquium
114 Dana Research Building
"Why Newton's Apple Stopped Falling: The View from Extra Dimensions"
Hooman Davoudiasl
University of Wisconsin-Madison
Refreshments will be served

4:00pm
Brandeis University
Martin Weiner Lecture Series, Physics Colloquium
Physics Building, Abelson 131
?Thin Ice: Unlocking the Secrets of Climate in the World's Highest
Mountains?
Dr. Mark Brown
Scientist, Climber, Author and Photographer
Refreshments in Room 333 at 3:30pm

Wednesday, February 1, 2006

2:00PM
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
String Theory Seminar
Center for Theoretical Physics, Building NE25, Fourth Floor seminar
room*
?Pure Spinor Formalism as an N=2 Topological String"
Nathan Berkovits
IFT, Sao Paulo

Thursday, February 2, 2006

12:00 noon
Northeastern University
Physics Colloquium
114 Dana Research Building
"Renormalization of Hamiltonians"
Stanislaw Glazek
Warsaw University
Refreshments will be served

2:45pm
Tufts University
Robinson 250
"Cosmic strings from simulation to observation"
Ken Olum
Tufts Institute of Cosmology
Refreshments served at 2:15pm in Knipp Library, Room 251

4:00 pm
Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
CfA Colloquium Series
Phillips Auditorium, 60 Garden Street, Cambridge
"Searching for other Solar Systems with the MMT Deformable Secondary"
Phil Hinz
University of Arizona
* tea and cookies at 3:30 p.m. *

4:15 p.m.
Northeastern University
Physics Colloquium
114 Dana Research Building
"A Moving Nano-Platform on DNA: Simulations and Single Molecule
Observations of a DNA Sliding Clamp"
Daniel Barsky
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory

Friday, February 3, 2006

11:45 a.m.
Harvard University
Duality Seminar
Jefferson 453
"Pure Spinor Formalism as an N=2 Topological String"
Nathan Berkovits
Instituto de Fisica Teorica,
Univ. Estadual Paulista
Lunchtime seminar: pizza, salad and fruit will be available

2:00PM
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Center for Theoretical Physics
NE25- 4th floor seminar room
``Pushing the boundaries of open-closed duality"
Davide Gaiotto
Harvard
refreshments will be served, check our web page for our temporary
location

4:00
Harvard University
Condensed Matter and Applied Physics Colloquium
Pierce 209
"The Anomalous Hall Effect in a Paramagnetic 2DEG"
John Cumings
University of Maryland