Late entries send to: bapc-late cosmos phy tufts edu

To subscribe to or unsubscribe from the bapc go
to:http://cosmos.phy.tufts.edu/bapc.html
Monday, October 17, 2005

2:00PM
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Nuclear and Particle Theory Seminar
Center for Theoretical Physics, Building NE25, Fourth Floor seminar room*
``Experimental evidences for a preferred frame from ether-drift
experiments"
Maurizio Consoli
INFN, Catania Italy
Refreshments will be served *see our web page for directions to our new
location

3:30 PM
Boston University
Special Event
Physics Department Colloquium Series
Metcalf Science Center, Room SCI-107
"The Physics of Multicellularity"
Ray Goldstein
University of Arizona
Refreshments served at 3:15 PM in the SCI 1st Floor Lounge

4:00 p.m.
Northeastern University
High Energy Seminar
114 Dana Research Center
"Present and Future of Top Quark Physics"
Aurelio Juste
Fermilab
Refreshments will be served

4:15 p.m.
Harvard University
Department of Physics Colloquium
Jefferson 250
"Quantum Optics with Quantum Dots"
Atac Imamoglu
Institute of Quantum Electronics, Zurich, Switzerland
tea will be served in Jefferson 450 at 3:30 pm

Tuesday, October 18, 2005

2:30PM
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Joint Tufts/CfA/MIT Cosmology seminar
Center for Theoretical Physics, Building NE25, Fourth Floor seminar room*
``String Cosmology with Scale-Invariant Power Spectrum"
Ali Nayeri
Harvard
Refreshments will be served at 2PM  * see our web page for directions
to our new location

3:30 PM
Boston University
Physics Department Colloquium Series
Metcalf Science Center, Room SCI-107
"Transport in Nanostructured Materials and Devices"
Arun Majumdar
University of California, Berkeley

4:00 PM
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
MIT Astrophysics Colloquia
Marlar Lounge 37-252
"Cool Visitors From Beyond: Low-mass,
Galactic Halo Stars in the Vicinity of the Sun"
Dr. Sebastien Lepine
The American Museum of Natural History
http://web.mit.edu/astrophysics/colloq.html

4:00 p.m.
Northeastern University
Condensed Matter Seminar
114 Dana Research Center
"Phenomenological Self-Energy for Strongly Correlated Electrons in Metals"
Konrad Matho
CRTBT, CNRS, Grenoble, France
Refreshments will be served

Wednesday, October 19, 2005

2:00PM
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
String/Gravity Theory Seminar
Center for Theoretical Physics, Building NE25, Fourth Floor seminar room*
``What is the phase structure of N=4 SYM theory?"
Sean Hartnoll
DAMTP
Refreshments will be served *see our web page for directions to our
new location

2:30 pm
Brown University
Theoretical Seminar: B&H 555
"Violation of the Bekenstein Bound in M-Theory"
Aleksey Mints
Berkeley

4:00 pm
Umass Lowell Colloquia
Olney 218
"Microplasmas: Plasma Physics and Emerging Applications"
Prof. Jeffrey A. Hopwood
Northeastern University
Refreshments at 3:30 p.m.

4:00 pm
IIC Seminar
Harvard University
Maxwell Dworkin Room G115
"Computational Techniques in Numerical Cosmology"
Speakers: Volker Springel of Max-Planck-Institute for Astrophysics in
Garching, Germany and Nick Holliman of Durham University, United Kingdom
refreshments at 3:45
For more info see:  http://www.iic.harvard.edu/seminars.html

4:30p.m.
Harvard University Joint Theory Seminar
Jefferson 453
"A Heterotic Standard Model"
Burt Ovrut
U. Penn

7:15 p.m.
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
Terahertz Systems Workshop
"Terahertz in Ferro-Electric Crystals: Spectra, Coherence, Polaritonics"
Dr. David Ward
Harvard University, Cambridge, MA
7:00 p.m.: coffee, Tea, soft drinks, & cookies will be served

8:15 p.m.
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
Terahertz Systems Workshop
"Terahertz Sensing Technology"
Prof. Michael Shur
ECSC & Physics Dept, RPI, Troy NY

9:15 p.m.
MIT Lincoln Laboratory
Terahertz Systems Workshop
"TBD"
Prof. James Kolodzey
ECE Dept, University of Delaware, Newark, DE

Thursday, October 20, 2005

12:00 PM
Harvard University
Condensed Matter Theory Seminar
Lyman 425
"Local probes at the nanoscale: Entanglement, melting, and jamming
transitions "
Cynthia Reichhardt
Los Alamos National Laboratory

2:00 PM
Boston University
Special Joint BU-MIT Biological Physics Seminar
590 Commonwealth Ave., Room 352
"Phase transitions in lipid-water systems"
Richard Templar
Imperial College, London

1:15 PM
Tufts University
Lunchtime Cosmology Seminar
Robinson Hall, Room 251
"Differentiating Dark Energy from Modified Gravity"
Arthur Lue
University of Texas, Arlington

4:00 pm
Harvard-Smithsonian Center for Astrophysics
CfA Colloquium Series Phillips Auditorium, 60 Garden Street, Cambridge
"Magnetars and Their Environments"
Bryan Gaensler
CfA
tea and cookies at 3:30 p.m.

4:15 p.m.
Northeastern University
Joint CIRCS/Physics Dept. Colloquium
114 Dana Research Center
"Biophysics of the DNA Molecule"
Maxim Frank-Kamenetskii
Boston University
Refreshments will be served

4:15 p.m.
Harvard University
Duality Seminar
Jefferson 453
"What Is the Phase Structure of N=4 SYM Theory?"
Sean Hartnoll
Cambridge University
Refreshments served in the High Energy Theory coffee area, 4th floor
Jefferson, at 3:45

4:15pm
Massachusetts Institute of Technology
Physics Colloquium Series
Building 10-250
"Cracking the Unitarity Triangle: A Quest in B Physics"
Professor Masahiro Morii
Harvard University

Friday, October 21, 2005

4:00 pm
Harvard University
Condensed Matter and Applied Physics Colloquium
Pierce 209
"Q > 100 million optical micro-resonators on silicon chips"
Kerry J. Vahala
California Institute of Technology