[Postdocs-visitors] ASTRO-COFFEE this friday at 1pm: Dr. Sebastian Hoenig (UC-Santa Barbara)

Dear all,

tomorrow will be the first astro-coffee of the semester.
Dr. Sebastian Hoenig from University of California - Santa Barbara will be
presenting the talk below. Make sure to come numerous.

I would also like to point out to you the following link for the calendar
of the Astro-coffees this semester:
http://cosmos2.phy.tufts.edu/~danilo/AstroEvents/Astrocoffee.html

I also made a link for the calendar of colloquia with highlighted those in
Astronomy and Cosmology (I thought this was useful, considering our
interests):
http://cosmos2.phy.tufts.edu/~danilo/AstroEvents/Colloquium.html

I hope to see you all tomorrow!

Best regards,
Danilo

---

Title: The Dusty Heart of Active Galaxies - Dissecting the nucleus with
high-angular resolution observations in the IR

Abstract:
Over the last years we have made significant progress in our understanding
of the dusty environment around AGN -- commonly referred to as "dust
torus", one of the cornerstones of AGN unification. A good part of this
progress has been made possible by the high spatial resolution
capabilities of the VLT and VLTI in the infrared. We are now able to not
only resolve the dusty environment but constrain the distribution of the
material that is believed to eventually accrete onto the supermassive
black hole. I will give an overview of some of our most recent results
involving small samples of AGN as well as individual objects using
VLT/VISIR, VLTI/MIDI, and the Keck interferometer together with 3D clumpy
torus models.

Dr. Danilo Marchesini
Assistant Professor in Astrophysics
Tufts University
Physics and Astronomy Department
Science and Technology Center (STC)
4 Colby Street
Medford, MA 02155 USA
Tel. 617-627-2756
Fax 617-627-3878
Danilo Marchesini tufts edu<mailto:Danilo Marchesini tufts edu>
http://cosmos2.phy.tufts.edu/~danilo/