Minutes of Physics TheoryNet Meeting, June 3, 2023

Physics TheoryNet Meeting, June 3, 2023

On Zoom

MINUTES

--------

Attending:

Mike Wadness, Medford HS

Michael Hirsh, Needham HS

Tim Fitzgibbon, Middleborough High School

Scott Goelzer, Coe-Brown Northwood Academy NH

Tomasz Taylor, Northeastern University

Ken Olum, Tufts University

Nishant Agarwal, UMass Lowell

A. Visits: Maxim Metlitski visited Mike Wadness in Medford. Students were fascinated by Maxim's road from Russia, to Canada, to Massachusetts. He also talked about his research in condensed matter theory. Ken Olum visited Tim Fitzgibbon in Middleborough High.

B. Discussion. We had a long discussion on the impact of AI, so far mostly negative, on high school education. We also brain stormed on using portable telescopes for astronomy nights.

C. Next meeting will be at the end of August, on Zoom, to prepare for the forthcoming school year.

Onward

Tom

Tomasz Taylor, Professor
Department of Physics