minutes of May 16 Theorynet Meeting and announcement of May 29 meeting

Physics Theorynet meeting, 16 May 2020

Virtual place on Zoom

Attending

Participating Teachers:

Elaine Picard, Concord/Carlisle

Kevin Pennucci, Concord/Carlisle

Michael Hirsh, Needham

Mike Wadness, Medford

Scott Goelzer, Coe-Brown Northwood Academy (NH)

Participating Theorists:

Per Berglund, University of New Hampshire

Jim Halverson, Northeastern

Tomasz Taylor, Northeastern

We welcome Kevin Pennucci who will be taking over Concord/Carlisle for Elaine Picard in the near future.

After general discussion of COVID-19 impact on high schools we went straight ahead to setting up virtual visits.

Actually, this was simpler to arrange than regular visits – a very a short notice works well in virtual space-time (nice confirmation of string theory 😊). We managed to arrange 4 sessions in two forthcoming weeks (before seniors leave at the end of May): Jesse Thaler to Concord/Carlisle, Per Berglund to Coe-Brown, Jim Halverson to Needham and Tom Taylor to Medford. All these visits are in the one-theorist—one school format.

The plan is to continue with visits until the end of school year, in a new format: one or more theorists – one or more schools, which will accommodate smaller groups of junior high school students, especially those who are interested in science-related college education.

We will meet to discuss this project, hopefully with more teachers and theorists joining us this Friday, May 29 at 9 AM. Zoom invitations will be sent out shortly.

Stay safe and enjoy Memorial Day weekend!

Jim and Tom