Minutes of Physics Theorynet Meeting, September 20, 2014

Physics Theorynet Meeting, September 20, 2014

Room 218 Dana Building, Northeastern University

MINUTES

--------

Attending:

Rick Dower, Roxbury Latin School
Chris Siren, Groton-Dunstable Regional HS
Scott Goelzer, Coe-Brown Northwood Academy
Elaine Picard, Concord-Carlisle H.S.
Nick Nicastro, Wachusett Regional HS
Matthew Headrick, Brandeis University
Tomasz Taylor, Northeastern University

Regrets:
Mike Wadness, Medford HS
Brent Nelson, Northeastern University
Jesse Thaler, MIT
Michael Hirsh, Needham H.S.
Richard Levergood, Londonderry HS
Ken Olum, Tufts University
John Samperisi, Monadnock HS
Nancy Najmi, Reading Memorial HS
Noreen Scarpitto, Reading Memorial HS
Brandon Murakami, Rhode Island College
Per Berglund, University of New Hampshire
Ann Kaiser, La Salle Academy
Nivedi Das, Sharon H.S.

A. Spring School Visits

A1) Elaine Picard/Ken Olum
Ken visited Concord/Carlisle 2 times, talking to all physics sections about black holes etc.

A2) Rick Dower/Matt Reece
Matt visited Roxbury Latin, focusing on the connection between string theory, particle physics and cosmology.

A3) Chris Siren/Matthew Headrick
Matt visited Groton/Dunstable, talking about curved spacetime.

A4) Nick Nicastro/Tom Taylor
Tom was able to visit Wachusett Regional at the end of school year, to talk about elementary particles etc.

A5) Scott Goelzer/Per Berglund
Per visited Coe-Brown Academy, talking about cosmology.

B. Equipment.
We are in process of making an inventory of equipment available for visits/demonstrations. We are not sure where the cloud chambers are, so please send us an email.
Tom would like to have the Milikan power supply fixed, so please bring it in.

There was a discussion what to buy next. There was not much enthusiasm for Cavendish gravitational torsion experiment because it is too "slow"-  difficult to set up, show and make a point. We agreed that Microwave set was a better choice, so we will order it from Pasco.

C. Evaluation.
We contacted WestEd to perform some minimum evaluation that would help us in choosing future directions and would protect the program over the next grant cycles. They will help us in working out some standard forms of student questionnaires, "before" and "after", that would measure the impact of school visits.

D. Website etc. Please collect as many photographs etc documenting the visits. Let's get started early this year and arrange visits (emails) asap!

E. Pairings for 2014/15

Elaine Picard  --         Ken Olum
Rick Dower --          Matthew Headrick
Scott Goelzer/
Tim Stamnitz --        Per Berglund
Michael Hirsh --       Daniel Jafferis
Ann Kaiser  --         Brandon Murakami
Richard Levergood --   Tom Taylor
Nancy Najmi /
Noreen Scarpitto --    Brent Nelson
Nick Nicastro --       Tom Taylor
Chris Siren --         Matt Reece and Brent Nelson
Mike Wadness --        Jesse Thaler

G. Next Meeting: January 10, 2015

Tomasz Taylor, Professor
Department of Physics