Minutes of February 4, 2012 Physics Theorynet meeting and call for more data

Physics Theorynet meeting, February 4, 2012
Room 218 DA, Northeastern University, Boston

MINUTES

----------------------

Attending:
Lara Anderson, Harvard University
Per Berglund, University of New Hampshire
Rick Dower, Roxbury Latin School
Scott Goelzer, Coe-Brown Northwood Academy, NH
Michael Hirsh, Needham H.S.
Richard Levergood, Londonderry High School, NH
Brent Nelson, Northeastern University
Nick Nicastro, Wachusett Regional H.S.
Chris Siren, Groton-Dunstable Regional H.S.
Timothy Stamnitz, Monadnock High School, NH
Mike Wadness, Medford H.S.
Matthew Headrick, Brandeis University
Ken Olum, Tufts University
Tasneem Zahra Husain
Tomasz Taylor, Northeastern University

Regrets:

John Janetti, Andover H.S.
Ann Kaiser, La Salle Academy
Noreen Scarpitto, Reading Memorial H.S.
Nivedi Das, Sharon H.S.
Albion Lawrence, Brandeis University
Brandon Murakami, Rhode Island College
Nancy Najmi, Reading Memorial H.S.
Jesse Thaler, MIT
Jose Juan Blanco-Pillado, Tufts University
Don Fries, Community School, Tamworth, NH
Xi Yin, Harvard

A. Introductions
We welcomed Lara Anderson and Tasneem Husain. Lara works mostly on string
phenomenology and has just started her postdoc
appointment at Harvard. Tasneem was a postdoc at Harvard, then returned to
Pakistan where she taught at Lahore University and
trained teachers, and now is back in the area.

B. Fall 2011 school visits
There were several visits in NH. At Coe-Brown Academy, Per entertained not
only Scott's but also Don Fries' students who came
on a field trip from Tamworth. Local students were happy to host a group
from another school. Tim's school in remote
Monandnock happened to be on Ken's New Year celebration trail: he talked
to two classes on time travel. On another day, Ken
visited George  Odell's Cosmo Club in North Andover High School, following
Tom's visit earlier in the Fall. Tom went to visit
Richard Levergood's classes in Londonderry NH on a Halloween snowstorm
day. He talked about expanding Universe, dark
energy and everything related to 2011 Physics Nobel Prize. Lara made her
first visit to Reading Memorial High School where she
talked to five classes on fundamental physics and LHC. Xi Yin visited
Rick's Roxbury Latin school while Jesse Thaler spoke in
Needham  about  (possibly but unlikely) superluminal neutrinos. Matt
Hedrick brought his Harvard colleague Brian Wecht to Chris Siren's
classes in Groton-Dunstable, where they introduced students to the concept
of curved spacetime. Finally, Jose Juan visited Mike's
classes in Medford, this time focussing on general aspects of physics
research.

C. Theorynet Evaluation
Just before the meeting, Mike W. distributed students' responses to a
questionnaire about Jose Juan visits to Medford H.S. It was
assigned as an on-line homework, and contains a very nice account of what
students really get from our visits. Chris Siren
distributed results of a survey from Matt and Brian's visit to
Groton-Dunstable. Rick Levergood brought a similar questionnaire from
Londonderry. These data and hopefully more coming from other schools will
be used in the Fall of 2012, in the proposal for
renewing our NSF grant (it's the outreach part of Northeastern's high
energy theory group grant). Just as a reminder, the present
grant covers teachers' stipends, travel expenses, equipment (overhead
projectors for participating schools, physics demonstration
equipment described in the minutes of past meetings etc), adverstising
costs (flyers, posters), coffee, donuts etc. From our
experience with other proposals (submitted with Per and Ken), it is clear
the the reviewers will be concerned with the
"effectiveness" of our activities. So far we have been very casual in this
matter, but now we need to keep track of:
1) the number of classes/students reached in each visit
2) students' and teachers' feedback
3) record the use of demonstration equipment
It would be very useful to have more data about students working with the
equipment -- after all, it's the most expensive part of the budget.

D. Next meeting: June 2, 2012