minutes of April 9, 2005 Physics TheoryNet meeting

Physics TheoryNet meeting, 09 Apr 2005, Room 218 DA, Northeastern
University,
Boston

minutes/action items:
----------------------

Attending:

Participating Teachers:

 Rick Dower, Roxbury Latin School, rick dower roxburylatin org
 Jesus Hernandez, Lawrence H.S.,  jeh33 hotmail com
 Farhad Riahi, Commonwealth School, Boston, friahi commschool org
 Mike Wadness, Medford H.S., mjwadness verizon net

Participating Theorists:

 Emanuel (Ami) Katz, Boston University
 Amihay Hanany, MIT, hanany mit edu
 Albion Lawrence, Brandeis, albion brandeis edu
 Ken Olum, Tufts, kdo cosmos phy tufts edu
 Tomasz Taylor, Northeastern, taylor neu edu

Regrets:

 Fred Cooper, National Science Foundation Program Director, fcooper nsf gov
 Scott Carlsson, Gloucester H.S., carlsson massed net (well, these are not

regrets: congratulations on your baby girl!)
 Hong Liu, MIT, hong_liu mit edu
 Ken Rideout, Swampscott H.S., rideoutken hotmail com

 1. It was the first meeting for the new TheoryNet physicist, Ami Katz, so
we
went through the introduction ritual once again. Ami is getting settled at
BU
and is in process of arranging his visits to Needham H.S.

 2. Reports on the visits. Ken Olum visited a 6th grade middle school
class in
Sharon and talked about time travel. Ken is very concerned by the
Commonwealth's strict enforcement of the curriculum which leaves very
little
space for extracurricular in-class activities. Mike Wadness reported on
Hong
Liu's three visits to the Medford H.S. In addition to praising Hong's
presentations, he said that his students were very curious about
day-to-day
activities of a research scientist, about curiosity, passion and
determination to become a scientist, so the visits provided a great
opportunity to see a theoretical physicist in person, and to demystify the
mad scientist/white lapcoat myth. Rick Dower talked about Tom's visit,
already
reported in a separate posting. Jesus Hernandez described Alan Everett's
(Tufts) visits to Lawrence H.S., and talked about Alan's 3-part
presentation
on time travel (this subject really hits the spot!) We are looking forward
meeting Alan in person at the next meeting. Finally, Albion Lawrence
talked
about his first visit this year to Gloucester H.S. Three pairs:
Hanany-Rideout, Tegmark-Riahi and Katz-Hirsh, are still in process of
arranging their spring visits.

3. Darien Wood showed up with an update on the money left in the budget
and
has kindly agreed to process the overdue teachers' stipends.

4. An interesting discussion incurred on the controversy surrounding the
"landscape" scenario and the use of anthropic arguments. Ami explained his
breakthrough April Fool's paper on super-split supersymmetry.

 5. As a result of a brief discussion we arrived at the following answers
the questions posed after last meeting:
 Q:- does it make sense to grow? are there more teachers interested?
 A: Yes. Teachers can be recruited by using Quarknet resources as well as
by
 networking via teacher's meetings, mailing lists etc.
 Q: if yes, theorists would have to cross party lines and involve other
   research fields?
 A: For the moment, we can stick to high-energy -- cosmology --
astrophysics
folks, recruit newcomers and maybe expand in the southward (Rhode Island)
direction.

We agreed to recruit 2 more pairs before the Fall meeting. As soon as we
find
new participants, we will announce it on the mailing list.

 Q: - should we involve graduate students? if yes, how?
 A: Yes, students can be used as "role-models" and have fresher memories
of
their motivation for studying physics and making a choice of becoming a
professional scientist. Theorists expressed their disappointment with
NSF's
scant support of graduate students and expressed their hopes that
student's
outreach activities can provide another good argument for RA's etc. We
could
experiment with a teacher-physicists-student arrangement.

 Q - are there more financial resources needed?
 A: moderate: LCD projectors for new teachers participants, maybe some
up-to-date laptops for theorists with obsolete presentation equipment,
upgrading the cloud chamber, perhaps some new demos, plus the usual
teacher's
stipends and eventual travel expenses

6. We agreed that the best time for the next meeting is in early October.
Let's use Saturday, OCTOBER 15, 2005 as the preliminary date.

7. Other logistics

 - Please make sure to subscribe to the mailing list
 https://cosmos.phy.tufts.edu/mailman/listinfo/physicstheorynet