RE: FW: Gender identity study

In my capacity as executive director of the Sexual Freedom Legal Defense and Education Fund, I have twice attended a conference (in order to present a workshop on sex and the law) called "Transcending Boundaries". It is for the GLBT/Intersex community. At the last one there was a workshop, in which two intersex panelists made a passionate and to me convincing plea that babies with intermediate genitals should be LEFT ALONE--that is, not made to undergo genital surgery to make them look "more normal". This applied not only to a-penile boys such as those mentioned in the forwarded study, but also to any baby whose genitals were anomalous . . . girls with large clitorises for example. Naturally enough, operated-on genitals don't function very well in adulthood.

I'm a bit of a radical in this area I imagine, and even oppose routine circumcision of boys, which I consider to be mutilation.

Valerie