Re: FW: Gender identity study

Nancy (and others),

Thanks for posting this.  There are a number of similar studies and
anecdotal data on intersexed children, and I think it is one of the few
pieces of evidence to suggest there may actually be some biological
component to gender.  It seems pretty consistent that half or more (but
nowhere near all) of children reared as a gender that doesn't match
their chromosomal make-up end up either reverting to their chromosomal
gender or identifying/feeling gender-ambiguous in some way.  I'm not
sure what the implications of this are for non-sexist parenting
practices, though (anybody have opinions on this for discussion?).  One
implication is clearly that parents should let their kids be who they
are, regardless of what their genitalia look like.

As the parent of a gender-atypical boy, I do worry about generalizing.
There are such huge differences among boys and among girls, much bigger
than the differences between the average boy and average girl (whatever
those might be).  Sex-segregated spaces (like sports teams, friendship
networks, etc) are a difficult place for kids who challenge some of the
prescriptions for their gender.  But as I think about parenting a
daughter, I see the advantages to sex-segregation, as well.  (Not to
mention the fact that I teach at a women's college, where I see many
positive effects.)

Nancy