RE: [apmultiples] another rant from Valerie

I guess the kids will always be affected to some degree by what "outside"
people do.

I've never bought dresses for my girls - seemed like nothing but a nuisance
to me! But that's what people seem to want to gift to them. I guess it's
good to have a few for the portrait studio, because I don't think they'll
get much wear out of them otherwise! It never seemed very practical to me to
have clothes that they had to change out of for play - play is their
full-time job now! Another gift they got was a huge collection of hair bows
and hair clips. I guess I can save them for "dress-up" play some day - I
don't see us ever bothering with them for daily wear! Both my girls have a
lot of hair and definitely look like girls, they've never been mistaken for
boys. (As an aside, I've heard that is one of the things that bothers
parents in the NICU most - when someone speaks of their child in the wrong
gender. I guess that would seem like a lack of familiarity and concern with
the child, but otherwise seems like one of the least important things to me
at that stage.)

I also tend to buy them clothes in bright colors rather than pastels,
because they don't "show the dirt" as much, and for some unknown reason
these seem to have more traditionally masculine themes - like the pink
version of one outfit has a butterfly on it, and the navy blue version has a
truck and a (male-appearing) farmer.

The first more expensive clothing I bought for each of them (on sale at
Land's End) was a pair of overalls each. Along with their first sweatshirts,
which have on the front "A for Aviation" and an airplane. Their father is a
private pilot and always talks about flying copilot in the right seat with
them one day. :-)

I have a feeling we'll be doing most of our clothes-shopping online (like
Mommy does) rather than in the "boys section" or "girls section" of the
store anyway.

~~~~~~~

Nancy Toby, Arlington, Virginia * nancytoby comcast net

Mom to Catherine and Elisabeth (6/1/03) and Anna (5/9/03-11/21/03)

  _____

"There is no such thing in anyone's life as an unimportant day." - Alexander Woollcott, American Author

Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
click here

Yahoo! Groups Links