[IPTA-cs] (1) Metastable strings (2) Subgroups

Hi All,

A few comments on two topics: (1) Metastable cosmic strings and (2) Forming smaller subgroups. @Paul, @Nihan, please have a look at my question below.

(1) Metastable cosmic strings:

A few of you were reaching out to me after yesterday's call because they are interested in my "metastable cosmic string" proposal. This is great! I indeed think that "metastable strings" are an option that we should explore, because they are (a) well motivated from the particle physics perspective and (b) promise to significantly improve the quality of our fit---if strings happen to decay in the right time window in the early Universe. More precisely, as you can see in our paper https://arxiv.org/abs/2107.04578, the U(1) and GUT symmetry breaking scales that respectively determine the cosmic-string tension and the GUT monopole mass need to be separated by a factor 8 or 9 or so, see the left panel of Fig. 3. This is a somewhat specific value, but there is certainly no strong fine-tuning involved, and values of this order of magnitude are definitely plausible and realistic in concrete GUT models. See, e.g., Eq. (23) in https://arxiv.org/abs/2102.08923, which actually "predicts" a value of 8 in a simple SU(2) x U(1) model.

(2) Subgroups:

We have now reached a good point where we can start thinking about forming smaller subgroups. How about the following three groups as a first proposal:

- Subgroup 1: Implementation into ENTERPRISE (first task: implementation of the look-up table I generated shortly before Christmas)

- Subgroup 2: Metastable cosmic strings (first task: derive a closed analytical _expression_ for the GW spectrum)

- Subgroup 3: Your suggestion (e.g., superstrings, first task in this case: think about going beyond the simple 1/p rescaling, see, e.g., https://arxiv.org/abs/1606.05585)

If I understand correctly, Paul and Nihan would be interested in contributing to subgroup 1, even though they might need some time, because of a few other things keeping them busy at the moment. In addition, it would be great if we could attract more PTA members with ENTERPRISE experience that could help us with the implementation. @Paul, @Nihan, do you think it would make sense to send around a mail on a big IPTA mailing list or something like that, in order to solicit more team members with ENTERPRISE experience?

Another comment is that I will take up a tenure-track assistant professor position at the University of Münster in May. Initially, I will have (at least) two PhD students in my group, and I will definitely suggest to one of them to become a member of our team. If the student should be interested, I would propose to them to spend some time with ENTERPRISE, so that they could help us with the implementation of the signals that we are interested in.

As for the second subgroup, I would suggest that we should have a meeting in two weeks with everyone who's interested in doing some actual analytical pen-on-paper calculations on metastable cosmic strings. If you are interested, please indicate your preferred time slot in the following doodle:

https://doodle.com/poll/q988vifh27xa3g7q?utm_source=poll&utm_medium=link

As a preparation for this meeting, please have a look at https://arxiv.org/abs/2002.01079 and https://arxiv.org/abs/2107.04578 and prepare a list of questions that you want to ask / discuss during the meeting.

Finally, regarding the third subgroup: Please feel free to make suggestions. Cosmic superstrings sound like an interesting possibility to me, especially because they may also allow us to improve the quality of the fit. But most of all, I would like to hear your suggestions.

Talk to you soon and have a great weekend, everyone!

Best regards, Kai.