[Emeriti-faculty] REMINDER: Colloquium at 3 pm in Knipp Library

Colloquium at 3 pm today in Robinson Hall, Room 253. Refreshments at 2:30
pm in the Knipp Library, Room Rob. 251.
Prof. Christoph Paus from MIT will present the following:

TITLE:
Unveiling the Mystery of Mass

ABSTRACT:

One of the prime reasons the Large Hadron Collider (LHC) was built is to
resolve the question about how particles acquire their mass. While it is
very simple to measure particle masses and we have a model – the Standard
Model of Particle Physics -- which explains quite accurately all presently
available measurements the seemingly trivial mechanism of how particles
acquire their mass remains a mystery. The Standard Model invokes a new
scalar gauge field to resolve this mystery but we have until very recently
not been able to find experimental evidence for its existence. On July 4,
2012, the CMS and ATLAS experiments have announced the discovery of a new
Higgs-like particle at a mass of about 125 GeV. I will review our
knowledge about the Higgs boson before the LHC started, quickly touch on
the newest results from the Tevatron and discuss the discovery in this
context. Finally, I will outline the steps required to complete the task
and clearly identify the newly discovered particle as the Higgs boson.

Dr. Danilo Marchesini
Assistant Professor in Astrophysics
Tufts University
Physics and Astronomy Department
Science and Technology Center (STC)
4 Colby Street
Medford, MA 02155 USA
Tel. 617-627-2756
Fax 617-627-3878
Danilo Marchesini tufts edu<mailto:Danilo Marchesini tufts edu>
http://cosmos2.phy.tufts.edu/~danilo/