[Emeriti-faculty] REMINDER: Colloquium at 3 pm in Knipp Library

Colloquium at 3 pm today in Robinson Hall, Room 253. Refreshments at 2:30
pm in the Knipp Library, Room Rob. 251.
Prof. Noah Finkelstein from University of Colorado - Boulder will present
the following:

TITLE:
Physics Education Research: a resource for educational transformation at a
critical time.

ABSTRACT
After decades of research into student learning, assessments, and
curriculum design, physics is considered one of the leading fields engaged
in discipline-based educational research (DBER).  Simultaneously,
unprecedented national attention is now being paid to the outcomes of and
needs for DBER.  After framing the national-scale scene of physics
education, and how physics education research (PER) is positioned to
contribute to the national dialog, I will review the growth of our own
program at CU, and my own work at the individual, the course, and the
departmental scales. I will present samples of these scales reviewing:
novel work on student use of representation and analogy in physics
learning, demonstration of the impacts of teaching interpretive themes on
student learning of quantum mechanics in our modern physics courses, and
conclude with how subtle faculty choices influence something as canonical
as clicker use in our introductory physics sequence. Time and interest
permitting we can explore the development of a framework for understanding
(and effecting) sustained change in undergraduate physics education.