[Emeriti-faculty] Dept. Meeting Monday Oct. 18

Reminder:  We will have a departmental faculty meeting on Monday Oct. 18, 12:00 - 1:15 pm, Robinson 250.

Agenda:
  • Announcements
  • GSAS proposal for TA/RA Assessment
  • NRC Review of Doctoral Programs
  • Issues relating to recitation sections, raised by Ken Lang:
1 Are recitations for Physics 11 necessary, and if so who should be
teaching them?

2 Should professors who are not actually teaching the course be
requested to either do recitations or grade exams?

3 Why aren't low level astronomy courses being helped with such support
by either TAs or other professors in the department; the size (Astro 9
and 10) and difficulty of problems (Astro 21 and 22) would seem to
require such equity.

We also have department meetings scheduled for Nov. 1 and Nov. 8.  The primary business of these meetings will be the 2nd year reviews of Cristian Staii and Danilo Marchesini. It is therefore especially important that all tenured faculty make every effort to attend those meetings.  I would also ask the untenured faculty to hold those dates open, in case there is also general departmental business.

I look forward to seeing you on Monday.

Roger