[Emeriti-faculty] Reminder: Physics and Astronomy Colloquium Today, Friday 10/8/10 at 3:00 pm

Good morning:

Reminder: Physics and Astronomy Colloquium today. See information below

3:00 pm
Friday, October 8, 2010
Science & Technology Center, Room 136
4 Colby St., Medford Campus
TUFTS UNIVERSITY
Physics and Astronomy Colloquium
“Simulation of Quantum Systems on Quantum Computers”
Peter Love
Haverford College
Abstract:
Simulation of quantum systems remains one of the most promising areas in which future quantum computers could provide significant advantages over their classical counterparts. In this talk I will review the basic ideas of quantum computation and quantum algorithms, and describe the Grover search algorithm in detail as an example where quantum mechanics gives clear computational speedup. I will then describe approaches to calculating ground state properties of molecular systems and describe some recent experimental implementations of these methods and prospects for future experiments.
Refreshments served at 2:30 in STC, Room 124.