[Emeriti-faculty] Department Events for week of October 4, 2010

 Good morning:

Events for this week are:

5:00 pm
Monday, October 4, 2010
Robinson Hall 250
Physics Graduate Students’ JOURNAL CLUB
Professors Larry Ford, Jose Blanco-Pillado and Ken Olum
“Overview of Cosmology Research at Tufts”
(undergraduate students, faculty and anyone interested are also invited: food served at 4:30 pm in Knipp Library)

Noon (12:00pm)
Wednesday, October 6, 2010
Society of Physics Students (SPS)
Robinson 251
SPS Lecture -- "Symmetry Breakdown: Physics, Food, and Alien Contact"
Leon Gunther
(undergraduate students of any major are invited to attend)
Description: Professor of Physics Leon Gunther gives a lecture explaining the concepts of handedness and symmetry, and how they relate to biology. He will also talk about how we can communicate the ideas of “left” and “right” to aliens.

3:00 pm
Friday, October 8, 2010
Science & Technology Center, Room 136
4 Colby St., Medford Campus
TUFTS UNIVERSITY
Physics and Astronomy Colloquium
“Simulation of Quantum Systems on Quantum Computers”
Peter Love
Haverford College
Simulation of quantum systems remains one of the most promising areas in which future quantum computers could provide significant advantages over their classical counterparts. In this talk I will review the basic ideas of quantum computation and quantum algorithms, and describe the Grover search algorithm in detail as an example where quantum mechanics gives clear computational speedup. I will then describe approaches to calculating ground state properties of molecular systems and describe some recent experimental implementations of these methods and prospects for future experiments.
Refreshments served at 2:30 in STC, Room 124.