[Emeriti-faculty] CORRECTION: COLLOQUIUM IS ON THURSDAY, JULY 22. 2010 AT 3:00 PM

CORRECTION:

Colloquium for Thursday, July 22, 2010:

3:00 pm
Thursday, July 22, 2010
TUFTS UNIVERSITY
Physics and Astronomy Colloquium
Anderson 208
Refreshments served in Robinson 251 at 2:30 pm

“Perspectives on the Advanced Version of Gravitational Wave Laser Interferometers”

Michele Zanolin
Assistant Professor Space Physics Department
Embry Riddle Aeronautical University
Research Associate MIT-LIGO Lab

The ongoing and planned data acquisitions from LIGO and VIRGO might provide the first direct measurements of gravitational wave signals. In this talk I will review a new perspective on which physical parameters will be possible to estimate with the current and planned laser interferometers. I will also discuss the capability of discriminating among different models of gravitation. The main mathematical tool that will be used is an expansion of the bias and covariance of a maximum likelihood estimation of the parameters in terms of signal-to-noise ratio powers. The higher orders of these expansions, that can be derived from Dyson-type equations, provide new knowledge with respect to the standard Fisher Information based error studies. The general applicability of these expansions will be addressed.